ay de tí Haití, ay de tí Haití


 
Two days after the magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck beneath Port-au-Prince, Haiti, some of the massive damage is becoming more apparent. Rescue teams are arriving, aid groups are trying their best to battle huge logistical challenges, bodies are being identified, and some medical care is being given. Rescue teams from all over the world have joined the recovery effort, as the United States pledged $100 million in relief efforts. The Red Cross ventured an estimate of up to 50,000 deaths, as bodies at the local morgues overflowed into the streets.
Estas son imágenes que me apropio e intervengo digitalmente para homenajear a las víctimas del terremoto ocurrido en Haití hace dos días. En el proceso creativo con la gráfica desarrollado durante mi vida a menudo he utilizado imágenes encontradas para intervenirlas y reinterpretarlas. La técnica del collage, la apropiación gráfica, la fotoGráfica son medios que he desarrollado personalmente. En momentos como este en los que ocurre un evento como este terremoto, me veo bombardeada inmediatamente por imágenes noticiosas de esa terrible realidad. La rapidez con que llegan las imágenes me hace sentir avasallada por la crudeza y el dolor humano reflejado en ellas. Me he preguntado muchas veces como algo tan tenebroso y triste puede ocurrirle a este país que es uno de los más pobres de la tierra y cuya fatalidad desborda lo inimaginable. Hoy he sentido la necesidad de hacer algo por Haití y expresar con colores e imágenes esa impotencia y angustia. Hago mía esa panorámica de contraste urbano de una ciudad de cemento destrozada y levantada en carpas de lona en la mirada al vacío de esa niña inocente.

These are images that I appropriate and intervene digitally to pay homage to the victims of the earthquake occurred in Haiti two days ago. During the creative process with graphics through my life I have often used found images to intervene and reinterpret them. The technique of collage, appropriation graphics, the fotoGraphic are media that I have developed personally. At times when an event like this earthquake occurs, I am immediately bombarded by the visual news of this terrible reality. The speed with which the images come forth makes me feel overwhelmed by the crudeness and human suffering reflected in them. I have been wondering how something as dark and sad could happen to this country which is one of the poorest in the world and whose fate goes beyond the imaginable. Today I felt the need to do something for Haiti and express with color and imagery that helplessness and anguish. I make my own this panorama of urban contrast of a city of shattered concrete and canvas tents erected in the eyes and emptiness of that innocent child.


Comments