poetry is a process of the personality of the poet

"Poetry," said Wallace Stevens, "is a process of the personality of the poet." Creative work is a training of each individual's perception according to the level on which he is alive and awake; that is why it is so difficult to evaluate. And it should be difficult. In art, perception is embodied: in dust, in pigment, in sounds, in movement of the body, in metals and stone, in threads and stuff. Each product, each goal, is an intermediate moment in a much longer journey of the person. Once when I was asked to write something about art, I wrote: "Art is an intuitive act of the spirit in its evolution toward divine nature." Because it is an act of self-education in this sense, it can not be evaluated apart from its maker, the one whose vision it represents. That is why judging is such a ticklish business. To judge prematurely is often to cripple. To refrain from judging is sometimes to impoverish. One must, again, listen with one's total faculties before one speaks. For answers to questions of technique are, at another level, answers to questions of personal growth. The minor questions: How shall I make this lid, what kind of handle shall I pull, how high a foot shall I throw this pot, how small an opening should this bottle have, how much iron oxide shall I apply to this surface?-- all these minor questions are the echoes and small ripples from the deeper questions: What am I doing? What do I know? What do I want to learn? How shall I bring myself into ripeness? Teachers of ourselves, we over and over again ask, "How do I want this to look?" And what we mean is, "What do I want to bring to birth in the world? In myself?" Our pots do bear our spirits into the world. We may then, it seems to me, let them grow like wildflowers, in all their varieties. But in our own gardens we may foster those which bring into our lives the influences we long for. We may also judge according to standards derived from the highest development we have observed.

Centering: in pottery, poetry and the person
Wesleyan University Press of New England, USA (1989)
"La poesía", dijo Wallace Stevens, "es un proceso de la personalidad del poeta." El trabajo creativo es un entrenamiento de la percepción de cada individuo en función del nivel en que está vivo y despierto, por eso es tan difícil de evaluar. Y debe ser difícil. En el arte, la percepción se hace cuerpo: en el polvo, en los pigmentos, en los sonidos, en el movimiento del cuerpo, en los metales y la piedra, en los hilos y las telas. Cada producto, cada fin, es un momento intermedio en un viaje mucho más largo de la persona. Una vez cuando me pidieron escribir algo sobre el arte, escribí: "El arte es un acto intuitivo del espíritu en su evolución hacia la naturaleza divina." Debido a que es un acto de auto-educación en este sentido, no se puede evaluar aparte de su creador, el que tiene la visión que representa. Es por eso que juzgar es un asunto tan delicado. Y juzgar antes de tiempo puede discapacitar. Abstenerse de juzgar a veces puede empobrecer. Uno debe, una vez más, escuchar con todas sus facultades antes de hablar. Pues las respuestas a las preguntas sobre la técnica son, a otro nivel, respuestas a preguntas sobre el crecimiento personal. Las preguntas de menor importancia: ¿Cómo puedo hacer esta tapa? ¿Qué tipo de manilla debo tornear? ¿A qué altura de un pie levanto esta pieza? ¿Qué tan pequeña debe ser la apertura de la botella? ¿Cuánto óxido de hierro aplico a esta superficie? -- todas estas cuestiones de menor importancia son los ecos y las pequeñas ondulaciones de las preguntas más profundas: ¿Qué estoy haciendo? ¿Qué sé yo? ¿Qué es lo que quiero aprender? ¿Cómo puedo madurar? Maestros de nosotros mismos, una y otra vez preguntamos, "¿Cómo quiero que esto se vea?" Y lo que queremos decir es: "¿Qué es lo que quiero crear en el mundo? ¿En mí mismo?" Nuestras piezas de cerámica llevan nuestros espíritus al mundo. Podemos, entonces, dejarlos crecer como flores silvestres, en todas sus variedades. Y en nuestros propios jardines podemos fomentar aquellas que traen a nuestras vidas las influencias que tanto anhelamos. También podemos juzgar de acuerdo a las normas derivadas del más alto desarrollo que hayamos observado.
M.C. Richards
Centrado: en la cerámica, la poesía y la persona

Wesleyan University Press of New England, EE.UU. (1989)

Comments

Alicia Weiser said…
Gracias Consuelo, bellos textos y bellas fotos...
Alicia said…
Gracias Consuelo... bellas fotos y bellos textos.