debo estar lejos::I must be far away
Debo estar lejos
Debo estar lejos
porque no oigo los pájaros.
Me han extraviado la tarde en su vacío,
he recorrido esta ciudad
de voces extranjeras
sólo para advertir cuánto dependo
de sus cantos,
y cómo sus silbos gota a gota
se mezclan en mi sangre.
Debo estar lejos
o los pájaros habrán enmudecido
adrede
para que su silencio me regrese
y mis pasos remonten las piedras
en esta larga calle
hasta que vuelva a oírlos en el viento
y el corazón migratorio se adormezca
debajo de sus alas.
Eugenio Montejo
Terredad, Alphabet of the World
University of Oklahoma Press, USA (2010)
I must be far away
I must be far away
because I don't hear the birds.
I have lost the afternoon in its emptiness,
I have toured this city
of foreign voices
only to realize how much I rely
on their songs,
and how their whistles drop by drop
are mixed in my blood.
I must be far away
or the birds have become silent
intentionally
for their silence to return to me
and my steps walk back the stones
of this long street
until I hear them again in the wind
and the migrant heart become numb
under their wings.
Eugenio Montejo
Terredad, Alphabet of the World
University of Oklahoma Press, USA (2010)


Comments